Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tela, Honduras

I've spent the last 8 weeks living in a volunteer house in Tela, Honduras and volunteering at the SOS Children's Village there.

These past 8 weeks have been intense in every definition of the word. I've had daily trials with my living situation and it's been a challenge to remain tranquila day after day...a challenge that some days I have not won. I have had to share my living space with 4 roommates and that hasn't always been easy. At the village i've had to meet 133 new people and to learn their names (i'm still learning...). I've had to find a way to communicate with 133 eager children in a language that I have not yet mastered. There have been so many components to this experience that have tested the composition of my character. Many of these trials will remain personal yet some of them I would like to share.

Unfortunately I don't have a computer with me and I have not had the time to sit and compose anything that adequately expresses just how important this experience has been. But I will. I promise. Once I get home and have some time to reflect on the experience I will let you all in on the magic of the SOS Village. I have a feeling I will be connected to this place, these people, for quite some time. And with that, I have a feeling you'll all be hearing about them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment