Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Overflowing Toilets

When we first arrived at our homestay in San Pedro, the family told us the toilet handle is a little tricky and that you have to be sure that it sets right after you flush. I only half listened because at the time the directions were being given to my two roommates, not me. That night at dinner we hear that Celina, our host mom had nightmares about her house flooding because 2 years ago one of the volunteers didnt fix the handle right and the whole bottom floor flooded in the middle of the night...all because of the damn toilet handle.

So I ended up having the stomach flu for a couple days and the night before it all set in I was feeling tired and awful. I go to the bathroom, flush, and then go sit in the living room with the girls for awhile. Celina comes running out of the bathroom saying in spanish, that there is water in the bedroom. Well, only in MY bedroom which seems appropriate given mine is the only room in the house with carpet.

I spent the next 45 minutes on my hands and knees slopping beach towels into the lake that was my bedroom and wringing them out into a bucket. Then they had to borrow a machine from their friends to suck up the remaining water. Then there was some moving of furniture to lay down another carpet so I could walk into my bedroom which then smelled like a cellar and continues to three weeks later.

I think my host family is going to really like having me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment