Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The life I thought I wanted..

Growing up in America you either learn directly through your family, or indirectly through society that to be successful you must go to school, get married, have kids. End of story. I learned this lesson too and up until a few years ago, I probably would have followed the same path. To the disdain of my parental units, I discovered traveling and have been running in the opposite direction of this prediscussed lifestyle.

I want kids. In the distant future. And I actually want lots of them. I want marriage and a house as well. The trick to all of this being I couldnt pick a city in the world i´d be content to stay in for the rest of my life, or even for a long period of time..nor could I pick someone I´d be content being with forever.

Im 24 years old. Some people would say these types of thoughts are totally irrational and others, many of the my close friends, would say I am where I am supposed to be.

Last night I found myself at the dinner table with my host mom discussing birthdays. Turns out hers is in a few weeks on which she´ll be celebrating her 23rd birthday. She has three kids..the oldest is 8. Shes been a mom since she was 14 and has been maintaining a home for just as long. Now she takes care of 3 kids, her husband, her house, all the cooking, and now two Americans who are living in her home. Ill reiterate the fact that she is only 22.

Ill stick with my life as a professional wanderer (sorry mom).

No comments:

Post a Comment