Thursday, February 10, 2011

Unavoidable church attendance

I had been complaining the last two weeks about the love affair my host family was having with God. I had been the elusive heathen that they weren´t able to convince to attend their church ceremonies. Feeling like a badass, I moved into the apartments that our school runs for students. Thinking I was so slick and would not have to hear any more ¨God is the Word¨ lectures (yes that really happened) I went to bed so content in my new house.

Until Wednesday morning...

At the strike of 756AM I was aggressively awoken by a religious song being played somewhere way too close to my eardrums and well above speaker blowing volumes. In a haze, I fumbled with the lock and stumbled into the hallway. I glanced up and down the street trying to pinpoint the location of this eardrum damaging drivel. Unsuccessful, I retreated to my room, first making eye contact with the lady that lives below us. I gave her a look that said nothing other than ¨jeez! this is uncalled for and TERRIBLE!¨ It was about 9 seconds later when I realized just beneath my room was a oversized speaker set up in front of about 25 plastic chairs arranged in preparation for some type of religious ceremony....and SHE was throwing the party!

This service continued for two whole hours. There were periods of time where literally twenty minutes lapsed and the same woman was still screaming some God praising tune into the microphone. Twenty minutes of a church song!? A SINGLE song!? Then for a short while they all said different prayers aloud and the lady with the mic wailed into it...she was really moved by the presence of god at their ceremony.

So it looks like due to my participation I am no longer a heathen. Is that how it works?

Good news: my spanish teacher told me its part of a program where every wed the women of the church get together at a DIFFERENT house and pray together. Each family does it ONCE a year.

Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment