Thursday, March 3, 2011

Half the Sky

¨...few factors that CAN affect our happiness levels in a sustained way. One is a connection to something larger...a greater cause or a humanitarian purpose. Traditionally, this was what brought people to churches or other religious institutions, but any movement or humanitarian initiative can provide a sense of purpose that boosts ones happiness quotient. We are neurologically constructed so that we gain huge personal dividends from altruism.¨

Recently I read the book Half The Sky and it is a recommened read, especially for other women my age who care at all about the greater good. The book researches the role of woman throughout the world and details problems women encounter like maternal health, genital mutilation, honor killings, abuse, sex trafficking and general lack of purpose in many places in the world. Each woman has a story that proves that being born into an awful life doesnt necessarily mean you will be unproductive in the world forever. It stresses the significance of education in the lives of women and children and how the result of this education can be a greater world economy with a more productive workforce, less disease and illness, population control, etc.

Its a really powerful book and it introduces several inspiring women who have risen from terribly grim life situations to become powerful, productive women in society. Many of these women now run international aid organizations as well as highly effective community organizations.

It left me feeling like I have so many options in the world. I can do whatever I want to do with my life. I have traveled quite a bit and opened myself up to letting the world change me. Next I think ill need to start changing the world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment