Monday, June 14, 2010

Living Well Is The Best Revenge

At a bar in Carmel I read something that said "Living Well Is The Best Revenge." I know it sounds awfully hostile to think that way, but isn't it true?

People come and go in your life and some of them really damage you. Years later when you look at your life it's hard not to wonder what they would think if they could see you now. A certain someone who was very, very important to me left my life in a traumatic way. I, whether justly or not, felt that this must mean I was not good enough for them. If I weren't good enough for them, how could I be good enough for anyone else? This person knew everything about me and walked away from me. This HAD to mean something about the quality of my being, right?

That was my thought pattern for a good year or two. Once I climbed out from underneath that rubble I realized while it did mean I had some things to work on and growth to make, that persons betrayal did not have anything to do with the quality of me. It said more about them, actually. For awhile I thought a lot about wishing they felt as bad as I did and hoping karma bit them in the end. That would be the best revenge...reading in the end that everything they traded me for didn't work out in the end. But then I realized, waking up everyday now and being happy....finding pleasure in the little things again...smiling and feeling it from the core...this "living well" is certainly the sweetest revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment