Sunday, May 9, 2010

planning ahead

My wheels are spinning so I am going to use this blog to work it all through. So this Friday after work I am going to Denver for my brothers graduation from UCDenver. The last weekend in May I am going to California with my SAS friends to have the best reunion ever (although it would be better if Whitney and Emily could make it). Then I have one last week of work until I am off for the summer.

So today I went and met the family I will be working with for the summer. There are 3 kids ages 3, 9 and 13...2 girls and a boy. Just like my family. They seem really great so I am hoping it will be a fun summer. The problem is the parents have odd work schedules and dont work 9-5 so I will not be able to say ahead of time what my week will be like. Some weeks it will be 3 days a week and some days it will be 5 days a week. So I originally planned to work with 2 fams and make a ton of money but this way I will have a lot of time to myself for doing summer things.

I also will be continuing my 6 hours a week of TSS because I can do that and still collect unemployment (if we qualify...last year we all did but it changes all the time). I am also in the process of contacting a family looking for a tutor. So if all goes as planned, I can collect umeployment and still work under the table to save up a decent chunk of change that will go towards my Central American adventure in September!!!!

So I also rethought my grad school plan for post-CA and I still think that is something I really need/want to do. I am crossing my fingers for UW in Seattle because I loved it there. I will def be disappointed if I do not get accepted. But I have to expect that this is a dream I may not be able to follow through with.

I did find a Language Scholarship program that I am thinking about applying to for the first summer of graduate study. There is also a really amazing World Orphans program that I applied to once that is on my list of things to do. So if all goes as planned, ill end up in seattle for 2 years with summers off to do 1 summer of language learning and 1 summer of service. I know, tons of planning and a lot of dreaming but that is what sustains me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment