Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Runaway Laptop, the grocery bag suitcase and the man with no shoes


Ive made it safely to Guatemala. Currenly I am in Antigua, a 45 minute car ride from Guatemala City. Antigua is a largely tourist city with many travelers taking spanish lessons here.

So I'll take you back to the beginning of the trip for a few laughs... my lovely friend Megzies picked me up in Erie and drove me to the Pitts airport around 2pm. My flight was at 630p but when we got there the security line was ridculously long. So long I thought i'd be so late. So after awhile Megan leaves and I look to my left after a huge commotion and some guy is chasing his tumbling laptop bag DOWN the UP escalator. The laptop is picking up speed and the guy, in his dress clothes, is trying desperately to catch up but since the escalator is going the opposite way, he is making little headway. So after about 30 seconds some stranger runs UP the escalator the appropriate way and cathches his laptop. The runner then flies up the stairs in sheer embarassment, grabs his waiting luggage, and leaves. Given there were probably 150-200 people in the security line watching this happen, I would have run too. So the silliest part...I turn to the lady behind me with my mouth gaping open and say "Well thats embarassing!" She looks at me, in disgust, and says "Hes lucky he didnt get hurt!" I thought it was funny! If you know me, you know i ALWAYS think people falling is funny...even when I fall.

Moving on to Boston. I land, pick up my bag bc it was not a connecting flight only to find I have to reenter security which is closed because its 1130 at night. So I set up shop on a bench and get out a book. Shorly after an unattractive 20 something guy sits next to me. After awhile he makes small talk..and I oblige. Im freezing so I go to sit on the floor opposite side of the room. As I am getting my stuff this kid says, in a creep voice, "I like your braids." So nervous laughter ensues and I get my bags quicker than I planned. Mins later he follows me saying "ya it is cold over there." Jesssusssss! I lay down and put my headphones in thinking he will stop talking, which doesnt work. What is it with people not getting social cues!? So he then says "If youre still cold, you can come sit by me." I started praying Whitney would get there soon but she wasnt due for another 2 hours..and im stuck with creepy mcgee!! Finally whit shows up and rescued me. What made him weirder was he was going to Nicaragua to travel for 3 months but literally ALL he had was a small bookbag with his laptop, a nicaragua guide book and im not kidding, ONE plastic grocery bag with a few clothes in it. The only shoes he had were dress shoes. You can imagine my confusion now, ya!?

Moving on to Ft Lauderdale. I see a tiny, tiny man who looks like he is from Guatemala walking around on crutches with no shoes....I emphasize walking around an airport with no shoes. Get on the plane and who is sitting next to me? The man with no shoes. Who hurt himself falling off his bicycle come to find out. But still, couldnt you wear a shoe on your non hurt foot? Welcome to guatemala i suppose.

1 comment:

  1. haha i can totally hear you saying that about the man's fall being embarrassing. too funny!

    ReplyDelete