Monday, September 13, 2010

wrapping up antigua


For the last week I have been taking spanish classes at a place called Maximo Nivel in Antigua. I have 4 hours a day, plus a homestay where they will only speak to us in Spanish so I get very tired here. Its exhausting really. Constantly having to listen to every word that is spoken and having to think about every word that comes out of your mouth...its horrible, but I am learning quickly I think. Much, much quicker than I ever did at home in school. One day here is like a week of high school spanish at home so it is DEFINITELY worth what I am paying.

Anyways, today in class it was funny bc my teacher Evelyn will give an example in spanish and the persons name will always be like 'Diego' or 'Marta' and mine are like 'Bill' and 'ashley'. Whats normal is so different here, its interesting to see. Plus with my teachers we talk a lot about things that are "normal" to both of us. My teacher thinks all guatemalans are ugly! Theyre so perplexed by snow..i showed sondra, my teacher, pics of my house in the winter and she was like wtf?!!?

The homestay were at is awesome bc there are 2 other americans staying with us, maika and rick. She speaks like no spanish and Rick is practically fluent...which makes group conversations in spanish really ridiculous. And then there is whitny who speaks literally no spanish. But she is learning too! We have our own room, no hot water for showers, and weight watchers portions of food. But its like an apartment cuz theyre practically never here so its easy to come and go as we please. All in all its a good experience and were def going to try it again in another city/country.

That is all for now. Its been pretty normal here since ive been in the same city for a week and were just going to school, eating meals, and walking around the city absorbing the culture. I like it here a lot. People are generally nice and its a beautiful city. I think, however, that I am ready to move on at the end of this week. From what we hear, it is a lot cheaper in other cities too bc this is like the new york of guatemala-- modern and more expensive. So today we are trying to figure out what the plan is bc classes are over on wed morning.

Highlights in antigua include...playing charades to try to buy some glue for our journals, going to a soccer game, watching two teams of disabled guys in wheelchairs play basketball at the court down the street from our house and watching horses "dance" in the streets. Tonight, if all goes as planned which rarely happens around here, we salsa!

Oh and for those who are going to ask, there has been NO Miguel yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment