Thursday, October 21, 2010

Don´t cry over spilled milk...or soup.

San Pedro Sula is a large city in Honduras, or as close to a large city as we´ve seen in Central America thus far. In the center there is a nice park with markets all up and down the surrounding streets. We spent a day wandering through the market stalls to see what kinda junk they were selling and just to see the culture. These markets are very different than anything we have in America...the closest comparison is a Flea Market on Sunday. And that doesn´t even do it justice.

Weve had some issues with constantly being stared at but more annoying is the complete and utter disregard for personal space in these countries, Honduras being the worst. Whitney made a comment in the market about how this is a very touchy feely culture which is an excellent preface to this story.

Not ten minutes later as we´re walking through this market, I I see some guy walking towards Whitney and I with googley eyes. I adjust my path to walk wide of him just to be safe. A minute later from behind me I hear in clear, LOUD English ¨ew! WHAT THE F$(*!!!!¨ I turn around panicking because I knew it was Whitneys voice. I see her standing there with her arms out and her jaw on the floor with her face contorted with sheer disgust..directed towards none other than the googley eyed guy I walked away from.
I yell... Did he touch you!?
Whitney¨-- Yes he KISSED ME!!!
Me--On the face??
Whitney--No..on the...arm!?

We walked away with him standing there looking all sad and pouty. Then Whitney informed me that when he kissed her, before screaming obscenities she turned and swatted him with her water bottle on reflex. As shes telling me this I either kicked a ramen noodle bowl or had it thrown at me because it hit me behind the knee and covered my sandaled feet in day old, cold, smelly, dirty noodle soup. After that, it was time to go back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment