Monday, October 11, 2010

Lost at Sea


I have a fear of large bodies of water, especially those with big waves and those that you cannot see to the bottom, and those that contain sharks and other stinging/biting animals. Understand that before you read further..and no laughing at my stupidity.

The other day we were in Caye Caulker in Belize. Its a beautiful island with like 1,000 people on it. We were staying at a beach front hostel and were pretty much the only ones there since it is low season. This was fantastic. The hostel had a beach with chairs and a pier and everything. I went out onto the peer, took my flip flops off, sat down to put my feet in the water and look around. Suddenly, a gust of wind and my ONLY flip flops went flying into the wind and landed in the water..like a foot away from me. I panicked. Get in I told myself...get it before the waves take it away! I hesitated..and then hesitated some more..looking around to find something to grab it with. Mind you, i am IN my bathing suit this whole time. Im freaking out, I cannot get myself to get in that water...especially alone when whitney was all the way at the other end of the pier. So I ran back and told her I needed help. She, who is equally as afraid of oceans, walked out to the pier with me and we realized my shoe was way too far away and neither of us had the guts to swim out to it.

Ridiculous I know...especially considering 2 days later I was in the middle of the Carribean snorkeling...flip flop less. Which is a problem when I only brought 3 pairs of shoes on this trip. Woops.

No comments:

Post a Comment