Monday, January 3, 2011

Home, again

My last two weeks in Central America I flew solo and it was both scary and amazing. I got from the Osa Peninsula, across the border, and several hours north to Bocas Del Toro, an island off the coast of Panama. This included several busses, taxis, ferries...etc and I did at all alone!!

Once I got to Panama I made some friends who I ended up spending my last two weeks with. People on the road are all pretty friendly. Everyone is in the same boat and a lot of travelers are also solo. I would have preferred having a close friend of mine to share the experience with but traveling solo also had its perks.

But alas, it was time to execute the best surprise in Fischer Family History!

I had purchased a flight home around thanksgiving time. I didnt want to go home yet but I also didnt want to miss the holidays. I had been telling my family and friends for months that I probably wouldnt make it home for the holidays. I didnt know if i could afford it and I didnt want them getting their hopes up. One day I found a HUGE discount on flights so I made the purchase and kept it a secret! I flew home on Dec 7th and had my bff megan pick me up. I stayed with her for a few days enjoying some decompression time. I ate a lot of buffalo chicken, watched endless hours of television, stayed in my PJS all day and finally enjoyed a hot shower!! (In all of Costa Rica I probably had 4 hot showers) On Friday Megan drove me up to Erie.

I had set up a Skype Date with my parents so that I knew they would be home. I told them I was "heading north" and would have access to video skype so to be ready. I walked in the front door and said "anybody home?" My mom turned around, SCREAMED, did this weird squat and then cried. My dad had ran out to do an errand so I went upstairs and on Megans phone called my mom on skype. So when he came on the front door we were skyping and he just jumped in the convo. I said "Hey hold on this computer is doing something weird..let me call you back" I creeped down the stairs and heard megan saying "Ugh i just want to talk to her why is this messing up!" And I turned the corner and said "You can talk to me!" My dad stared at me...turned and looked at my mom...stared at me.." Finally I said, hi dad!! and it registered to him that I was actually there!

They had NO clue! And they were very happy that I made it home for the holidays!
The best part was I then got to surprise my friend Lindsey at her art show and I dropped into my old job and surprised the crap out of my old friends and coworkers...all of whom had nooo clue i was coming home either! Id say that surprise was quite the success!

So now I have 4 weeks at home to eat all the hot sauce I can, spend every minute enjoying my comfy bed, a hot shower and all my friends and family!!

1 comment: