Wednesday, August 11, 2010

career confusion

Last week I got reamed at work for pretty much messing up royally with some paperwork. I was really upset at the time because I was embarrassed but when I got in the car it dawned on me, these people were totally in the right to yell at me. I have a terrible work ethic and it is beginning to be a problem.

I like having a job because I feel healthier, both mentally and physically, when I have a routine purpose to get up in the morning. I enjoyed my job the last 2 years because I had summers off to regroup and recharge. Not to mention, I had a TON of freedom in the workplace, got a decent paycheck and learned a lot about child development. Now to the problem: I cannot handle monotony. After a few months at any job I start looking for a way out. I cannot stay satisfied while doing the same types of things day after day. The paycheck is great but the lack of purpose is not, nor is the lack of expression.

I am a person who has a hard time finishing things. I read 4 or 5 books at the same time because I like going to bed and having choices...being able to read what my mind craves that night not what I picked out 2 weeks before. I have many art projects going that sometimes get put away for months before I actually finish them. I enjoy this freedom. The ability to get up in the morning and choose is fantastic.
I am also very creative and I think the types of jobs I have been looking for are NOT the types that will make me happy. I like to make things, design things, create things. Yet I am about to apply for a degree in social work...am I in the wrong field?

Im not sure if this creative drive and this need for constant newness around me is a blessing or a curse? I guess it means I have tremendous ability to be a self starter. Having the creativity to think of a new idea and the drive to find a way to execute it definitely is a blessing. I need to start looking for a career where I can do both...

If I continue to be this dissatisfied with the jobs I have and keep up this pattern of dissatisfaction I am going to have a hell of a time establishing a career. I think maybe I have too MANY ideas about what i'd like to do yet I don't want to commit to any of them because then I cannot do the others? All I know is I need to figure it out before I make a mess of my resume...

No comments:

Post a Comment