Thursday, August 19, 2010

Understanding

I am feeling really good today. I finally had a productive conversation about my trip with my Mom. My parents have been incredible silent about me getting ready to leave here in less than 19 days! I was packing all my stuff in the living room the other day and my mom walks in, looks at it, says nothing, then asks me to help her move a dresser.

So apparently everyone got in a huge fight when I was gone today and when I came home my mom and I had a minor heart to heart...I am very pleased with the result. It went a little like this:

Me: ...i'm so tired bc I am too stressed to sleep...
Mom: Stressed about what?
Me: This trip.
Mom: WHAT!?!! STRESSED!!
Me: Yea mom. This is a stressful thing. Leaving the country for 3+ months is terribly exciting but its also very stressful. There is a lot to get ready for and I'm traveling with someone I have never traveled with and I have to worry about money and blah blah blah...
Mom: Stares at me in a state of utter dismay.
Me: Why do you think its so annoying that you are so unsupportive? Im already stressed enough on my own that hearing your gripes and feeling like you dont support me just adds to it!
US = FINALLY some basic level of understanding here. Sweet relief.

It also helps that I got a good wine induced cry with with my hugely supportive friend Megan in which she reassured me that this IS a good thing, that i will NOT die and that it WILL be a good experience for me. Thanks Megz.

No comments:

Post a Comment