Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Monday Night Madness...#1

I used to love telling tales of Erie PA to my friends from college. The number of jaws I picked up off the floor after describing my typical weekends is immeasurable. Erie PA is the place to be for cheap drinks. Monday nights are truly special. Head over to the Plymouth tavern and purchase 25 of their special and you will find a bill for $5.00. Yes you read that correctly. Its quarter draft nights ladies and gentlemen! And its my new favorite thing.

No as an Erie native I have been privy to the Monday night madness that is quarter drafts for quite some time however I never truly got its essence. Last week after enjoying a delicious dinner and corona at Rum Runners while watching the sunset (another highlight of an Erie summer) I found myself perched on a bar stool, drinkin draft beer out of a plastic cup in the middle of a truly fabulous sausage fest. Im not sure why this is the case. There were for real 8 boys to ever 1 girl and it was exactly the way I like it. Anyways, we ended up sitting at this fabulous raised circle table that sits pretty much in the middle of the bar; perfect view of the flow of traffic both in and out...ideal for husband hunting. So there are 3 girls at a 5 person table and boy oh boy did we have the magic stool. It was empty for about 20 minutes max all night. The rest of the time it was occupied by Erie's finest...finest tools.

Lets begin with...we'll call him hair gel because the only thing I remember about his appearance was the twisted spike concotions he had atop his head. So he sits down and stares at me...awkwardly. Finally when I turn to him, he laughs. And I say "what?" He giggles again. Bring out the fiesty. So the little shit starts talking and when I ask where he goes to school he says "A small school, you wont know it." I say..."try me". After some prodding he says "Baldwin Wallace" Im like are you f-ing kidding me?? I WENT there. Worst place ever. That sent him away pretty quickly considering his Banana Republic ass was in heaven at the spirit crushing Baldwin Wallace and I had NOTHING nice to say about it.

Enter boy number two. We'll call him Africa. He is about 6'0, 18 pounds soaking wet and even though the brim of his hat is covering all but about 3inches of his chin I can clearly see his eyes rolling around sluggishly. But dont worry he emerged from beneath the haze of intoxication just long enough to insist that my friends and I, who are 24 years old, are cougars. Thank you africa but I think you need to be older than 24 to qualify.

Boy 3 strolls in from stage right and takes his place on the magic story telling stool. He actually proves mildly interesting...ex-navy, couple tattoos, too scrawny for my liking however so don't get any ideas. Anyways he was the exception to my notion that you never ask a person at a bar where theyve been as far as traveling goes. They say they just got back from vacation you say "oh you like to travel?" They say "Ya. Ive been to canada....florida...the bahamas...i travel a lot." I hate to be pompous but come on. That is vacationing, not traveling. They are 2 entirely different things. So boy 3, who happens to be named Adrian but I called him Max because my sisters name is Adrienne and that is just weird....Max, he tells me he has been to a lot of countries, probably more than me. So my head, filling with sass says "Try me!" He counts 12 countries...I tell him I hit 12 when I was 21 years old. What an asshole I am haha. Anyways, he had some good stories and was a pleasant mixture of adventure and good old charm. So i gave him my number. Then he proceeds to text me 2 times that night...and 3 times the next day. Game over.

So goes Monday night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment