Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Warning: don't dance

Im sitting in front of the TV watching a particularly enthralling episode of Date My Mom so something equally as mind numbing and my mom says "I have a funny story for you."

Yesterday my mom was talking to my like 97 year old neighbor about what her kids were doing. My sister just got a new job at the bank...my brother just got a job at Perseus House....and Im getting ready to leave. The neighbors like OMG you have to hear this story....

Her niece goes to Africa recently for a mission trip. They go deep into the countryside to a small village. There is some ceremony going on and the girl decides to make the most of the experience and gets up and dances with the locals. A few days later when it's time for her to leave the country she can't. Her passport has been flagged because she has been listed as one of the wives of the chief of the tribe she had been visiting. Apparently in African villages dancing with a chief is the equivalent of saying I do. Took her SIX WEEKS to sort everything out so she could come home. Imagine being stuck alone (the rest of the "missionaries" had to go home without her) in Africa because youve unknowingly gotten married. Insanity!

In the end my neighbor was like, tell Kathryn whatever she does, don't dance!

1 comment:

  1. That is a crazy story! And scary! And a little funny :)

    ReplyDelete