Wednesday, August 4, 2010

unnecessary laughter

A certain agency that I have been working for for 2 years now, which shall remain nameless, requires that employees wishing to return to work in the fall get a physical in the summer before they are approved. No big deal. You would think, right??

Ok so last year it was my first summer going through this and through failure on my own behalf or that of my supervisor, I didn't know about the physical thing until late August. I was supposed to go back the last Monday in Aug. Well I get a call from the agency explaining the situation and unfortunately I was en route to Denver via 2001 Taurus with my 2 siblings. So phone calls #1 and #2 went a little like this...

Me: Oh I am sorry. I am out of town for the week but I can go the day I get home to get the physical done and have them fax it over if that is ok?
Unidentified asshole: Well youre not understanding. That wont be enough time to approve it. Dont bother showing up the first day without it. YOU should have known about this and YOU messed up and it was YOUR responsibility to do this and dont bother coming to work!!!
Me: I understand it was my reponsibility but I was out of Erie for work all summer and the earliest I can do it is next week. I am sorry, I do apologize but what would you like me to do here to fix it?"
UA: !?!#%#*!!!$(#%*
Me: Yes, I am sorry. What would you like me to do right now in order to work this out?
UA: ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!!! BAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The next morning, the same woman calls me back and it goes a little like this.

UA: Hello, did I speak to you yesterday about some issues over the physical?
Me: Yes..?
UA: How soon might you be able to get it?"
Me: Monday?
UA: That would be wonderful. Just get that scheduled at your earliest convenience and we will see you at the first day of work! :)
Me: ok?

Now you understand my serious confusion at the inconsistency here.

Flash to this year. Today I realized I do need to go back to work the first week so I can keep my health insurance going through September. So I call to schedule. I call and very nicely explain that Id like to schedule my physical. The lady sort of hmmms and hawwwss and asks my name. I tell her and my job title and say yes I just wanted to schedule a physical so I can return to work. Do you know what follows....LAUGHTER. Not a muffled giggle or a irritated scoff but a full blown ERUPTIVE LAUGHTER. She then proceeds to tell me they stopped scheduling them the end of July and I missed that boat! Id have to call the drs office myself and schedule it. Then she laughs at me, again!

SO I call the drs and they are very pleasant and within 2 minutes I have an appointment scheduled. SO, would someone care to clue me in on what exactly was so funny!? oh and then maybe tell me why anyone with that horrific of phone etiquette is still employed!?!?!

2 comments: